Saturday, March 29, 2008

Far and Away



Living in a posh ski resort in Switzerland, I am used to seeing the rich and the famous wonder around the place in their thick, long fur coats or driving around in their Jaguars, Bentleys, Cadillacs and oversized Porsche SUV’s. I pay no mind to them now, dismissing them as a mild annoyance and good revenue for the village during the high season. They are like … migratory birds really. I’ve seen their “nests” perched up high upon the hills. Grand chalets surrounded by fences upon which “Private” signs hang as decorations. I’ve often times wondered what lies inside those chalets behind the fences and “Private” signs. And today, I got to find out, up close and personal.


Reto’s boss had told us that the owners of Chalet “Bomba” (we call it that for privacy purposes - I don’t want any Richie Richies coming after me with a lawsuit) are getting a new kitchen. That meant the old kitchen had to be taken down and out of there. Mr. Boss said we can have it if we wanted it. Free. Reto had seen it, of course, and knew it was in quite good condition. So, yeah, we wanted it. The way my life has unfolded so far, has taught me not to be too proud for my own good and a free used kitchen in good condition sure beats a brand new one, in excellent condition and ranging between 20,000 and 30,000 CHF. So yeah, we wanted it.


The owners of the chalet are Italian folks who come here for a couple of weeks in a season during which time they enjoy staying in their Chalet “Bomba”. Reto’s company has a contract with those people and Reto has gone over there numerous times to put in floors, walls, doors, ceilings and anything else made out of wood … which is pretty much everything. Mr. Boss called Mr. Owner. Mr. Owner said it’s OK to go ahead and take down the “old” kitchen while they’re not here. Mr. Boss gave us the green light and the key to Chalet “Bomba” and off we went this morning with our tool box and overalls.


Those of you who’ve seen “Far and Away” with Nicole Kidman and Tom Cruise, just think of the scene where the two break in into a huge mansion one cold, snowy evening. Well, that’s exactly how I felt. Us two, poor little ordinary folk walking in this forbidden place, knowing the owners are away. It was … exciting. The chalet itself is not that big (still I did manage to get lost and Reto had to find me and fetch me back to the kitchen) but its interior was absolutely exquisite. It oozed wealth. It stank of posh, lush and luxury.


I can’t describe what I saw in words, but I did snap some pictures which I will put up on Facebook, where I can restrict the privacy settings so that only my friends can see them. And I do trust that they (my friends) will not call up Mr. Owner and rat us out.


After taking a couple of cupboards down, we took the lift from the main foyer of the house down to the entrĂ©e. In the following weeks, Reto will continue the work himself and I will most likely never set foot in Chalet “Bomba” ever again. But at least I did once, and now I don’t have to wonder anymore what lies behind the “Private” signs. I know. It’s … money.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congats on your new kitchen!

Isn't what you did the same as fixing someone's computer and at the same time going through all of their photos and stuff?

Svetlana said...

i dunno, maybe. but just so u know, i never opened or touched anything in any room other than the kitchen (where we were allowed to), i just went inside the rooms and looked and took a pic. but yeah, it was snooping around kind of, but i just had to, i had to see!