Monday, May 19, 2008

Why I Left Twitter


A very good friend of mine recently introduced me to an Internet site called "Twitter". As I'm sure all of you are Internet savvy, I won't bore you with explaining what the site is. I was reluctant to join at first, as I am not Internet savvy and wary of signing up for things but since I trust my very good friend, I joined.

It didn't take me long to figure the site out and, following my friend's suggestion, I added a couple of people whom I began following. I had a lot of laughs reading their updates and comments and their colourful conversations with one another. I even put in my 2 cents worth from time to time. But that's just the thing. If you're only on from time to time, then Twitter is not for you. You need to sign in almost every day in order to keep up with what's going on and what the people you follow are up to. Of course you could stay connected via your cell phone, but that's not free, especially not for me since I'm not based in North America. And of course you can access Twitter from other sites such as Twirl, Twitter email, etc., etc. but that brings me to the same point yet again.

And that is: Time. You need time for Twitter. Lots of it. And that's what got me. Not the new Facebook chat, no. Time. Plain and simple. Now, if you have a job which requires you to spend time at the computer, or you have the opportunity to go online at work in between what you're doing, then you've got no problem. But neither of the above apply to me. So that means when I'm at work, the computer is off limits. That leaves evenings, free days (since I'm a part-time employee) and weekends. Evenings and weekends are out. That is the time I spent with my husband or on Skype/video-phone with my family back home. Free days are actually only one day midweek and that time is used for housewife type work.

And if you say, well, are you always that busy that you can't spend any time online, then my answer is, well, what are you reading right now? Exactly. I keep this blog and I'm also on Facebook where 90% of my friends and some family members are on with me. They read my status updates, see my pictures, make comments, write on my wall, send me gifts and drinks, dedicate songs to me, play games with me and yes, chat with me or send me messages. It's just the perfect online world for me.

So, as much as it was fun those few weeks on Twitter, I've made the decision to resign. Sometimes you just have to know your limits and have enough sense not to go overboard.

Bye Twitter folks, I'll miss you. But like I said, I know who you are and where to find you :-)

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're lucky you came up with a plausible excuse.

I still remember how difficult it was to get you onto facebook.

Yesha said...

i had netfriendships and myspace accounts before but left them due to the fact that it's hard to keep up with all my friends. so i tried this blogspot where i thought i could keep up with my friends so i invited them to sign up for an account. so for now, i'm keeping this account for my old and new friends. i'm online everyday but not all the time i get the chance to talk to all of them but at least they can find me here.

you just got a smart excuse. ^^

bha said...

Sites like twitter and even facebook are beginning to bore me when it comes to day-to-day use. I rarely log in to fb and twitter is a can of worms I don't want to open.

Regarding your comments: I have to agree about my cookies not looking great in those pics. I should have taken pics after I made them and gotten the best ones (the last batches). Instead I got the ones that were at the bottom of the stack for three days! They are delicious though.

Also those stories: I haven't even seen sin city yet, but I've sort of been meaning to for awhile. I'm not sure it's better or worse for what I'm writing that I haven't seen it :)

Svetlana said...

peri: u know me quite well, and u know how i am when it comes to signing up for things, lol. how long did it take you to get me to start this blog too?! im happy u understand tho :)

autumn: im sory, i told you to go to Twitter and then i left. tsk, tsk, head shaking.

bryan: you have to watch "Sin City", it's awesome. i guess if you can manage not to let yourself get influenced by external sources, then ur writing will remain genuine. like those two pieces, they are in the "sin city"-style but one can definitely feel ur individuality there.

about facebook, i live away from most friends and all family and facebook is my window into their lives and theirs into mine. i dont know if id be on it if i saw or talked to those pple on daily basis, but it's a great, easy and fun way to keep in touch from far and wide.

and the cookies, like i said, hats off to you that you can do that. if i tried to bake cookies, well, let's just say, i'd be arrested for attempted murder. trying to poison people is illegal, isn't it lol?!

Paul Bernard Baker said...

I know what you mean.

I haven't been on facebook for a couple of weeks. There will be messages for me - I'm so rude! But I just forget to go on, and part of me doesn't want to. Sometimes I am very anti-social, then at other times I am quite the life and soul...