Saturday, May 3, 2008

Swiss Chalet Suisse



No, it's not chicken.


I'd like to write here a little about something which has been bugging me for a long time and I've been wanting to get it off my chest for a while.


I never really understood the idea behind the Swiss Chalet restaurant chain. It has absolutely nothing to do with anything Swiss or a chalet, or a Swiss chalet.


I took my Swiss husband to one of those restaurants when we were visiting back home last year and he was appalled. Not only because they use the Swiss name in vain but because the quality of the food, which is not Swiss at all, was far below anything a Swiss is used to. I was equally disappointed by the chain. I used to work in one of the restaurants and ate the food every day and thought it was quite good indeed. I am not sure if it's because Swiss Chalet standards have declined or because my own standards have escalated since I've been living in the land of perfection, but I have to admit I had some trouble finishing my plate.


Now, here is a Swiss Chalet (or Chalet Suisse in french) product worth of the name. It has nothing to do with chicken but it does have a lot to do with chocolate, which IS a proud Swiss invention known all over the world. And what's more, there is a picture of a Swiss chalet on each mouth-watering block. If anything deserves to be called Swiss Chalet, then it's this here piece of art!


I don't know why the founder of the Swiss Chalet restaurant thought that chicken and fries are something which people eat in Swiss chalets but I promise you, it's not. So next time someone says "Swiss Chalet", don't say "Oh, I've had their chicken, it's great!". Say "Oh, isn't that the most exquisite chocolate in the world? I've had that while staying in a chalet in Switzerland." Trust me. The Swiss will thank you.

10 comments:

Ki said...

i've never been in a chalet in Switzerland but i have had Swiss chocolate and i have to say, it was the best i ever had. so i'll go along with you and tell people Swiss Chalet is chocolate not chicken and it's, by far, the most exquisite one in the world :-)

Svetlana said...

awhhhh, thanks ki, ur a doll!

Austen Rose said...

but I LOVE swiss chalet...

Austen Rose said...

and I mean if swiss chalet changes its name...we should no longer call danishes...danishes. Have you ever eaten a danish? It doesn't taste like denmark. Not even close.

Yesha said...

oh, i have tasted that chocolate. just can't recall when and who gave it to me. lol. but what i remember was, it's really delicious. =]

Anonymous said...

Near the studio where we dance there's a Harveys. I'm trying to eat more healthy these days and so because Swiss Chalet has teamed up with Harveys I'll order Swiss Chalet.

More often than not I get the most miniscule piece of overcooked chicken. It really isn't worth the price. Saying that though, I haven't been to an actual Swiss Chalet restaurant in a while.

They won't be authentic until they start serving horse...

Svetlana said...

peri: and that's my point exactly!! how can you call yourself something so suggesting a Swiss nature and then have nothing to do with anything Swiss?? someone who had no idea about Switzerland and visited a Swiss Chalet restaurant will be totally mislead, no?! chicken, by the way, as well as fish are the two least popular foods people eat here. horse, on the other hand, now that's swiss!

Yesha said...

hi laney! i just find pics/tags for my blogs on photobucket.com. =]

Paul Bernard Baker said...

Swiss Chalet restaurant?? Never heard of it, sorry!
The closest I've been to Swiss dining is the canteen at Swiss Life insurance (my first proper job).
As for Swiss Choc, mmm-mmm. I love my chocolate. In fact I have a choice of Smarties or a Flake in the fridge right now. Swiss-wise, the only company selling a branded Swiss product in all major UK shops is Lindt. I love their Excellence range, but the regular stuff is nothing special. Lindor is pretty nice too.
Can you recommend anything I might be able to purchase over here?

Svetlana said...

paul: sorry, i missed ur comment. Lindt is the only Swiss choc brand being exported, i think (but don't quote me on it) which is unfortunate since they have sooo many other great ones. my fave is Callier, Frey is close second and i also love the small, private local chocolatiers. but the above two are ones to watch for.

Swiss Chalet is a restaurant chain in Canada, specializing in chicken. check it out if you're ever there but just so you know, it has nothing to do with Switzerland or anything Swiss :)