Wednesday, May 14, 2008

My Husband's Attempt On My Life



Do you die from eating dandelion leafs?? I hope not, cuz I ate half a leaf last night. You see, dandelion leafs are NOT Rucola!

After spending half an hour last night thoroughly washing them and making a salad, I took a bite out of one leaf and immediately realized there was something wrong with my Rucola, namely, IT WASN'T RUCOLA AT ALL! It tasted nothing like it and was very bitter. I spat it out, but not before I had swallowed some of it instinctively. Me: "Shit, that's not Rucola! It's very bitter. I don't think you are supposed to eat that stuff!" Husband: "Oh? Well, I guess, that's not Rucola then. Don't eat it." Me: "Oh, thanks hon for letting me...OF COURSE I'M NOT GONNA EAT IT!!!"

So in the trash the whole bagful went, together with my disappointment. I guess I should have tried it right then and there before I picked a whole bag and brought it home and washed it. But I thought I didn't wanna eat any bugs or dirt. Ha, little did I know. So, lesson learned. Rucola is Rucola and dandelion leafs are dandelion leafs and folks, DON'T EAT DANDELION LEAFS! They look exactly the same, but they are not at all the same. Thank goodness we don't pick mushrooms, eh?!

7 comments:

Ki said...

ha ha. i'm sure your husband did not mean you any harm. i don't know what Rucola is but i could have told you that you can't eat dandelions. i'm pretty sure they are poisonous, especially the white, milky stuff that comes out when you cut or tear them. you might get a stomach ache but you'll live :)

Svetlana said...

lol, well ur a bit too late but yeah, i'll live. no stomach ache either. luckily, i've got a strong stomach:) just disappointed that i can't pick my own Rucola (a green leafy vegetable used for salads, on pizza, pasta, sandwiches, etc. etc.) but i'm happy with the nettle and bärlauch.

Paul Bernard Baker said...

Haha! Forget my other comment then, but the leaves do look familiar. I wonder where on earth your husband got the dandelion thing from?
Are there people all over the world telling others about this? Is there a great dandelion scam?
I need to know!

Svetlana said...

paul: ur funny. dandelion leafs and Rucola look exactly the same. i think that's why my husband was confused thinking it's one and the same thing. but it definitely isn't. i thought you couldn't eat dandelions, that they're actually poisonous, but if you've eaten them and are still with us, lol, than it's ok, but they don't taste very good at all.

in Switzerland, there's a lot of word of mouth thing going on, yes, and older folks tell younger ones where to go and what to pick from the land, which is great, cuz there's nothing fresher and healthier and funn-er than picking your own stuff. as far as dogs peeing on it, the places where you pick it are not places where dogs roam, so you'll have to watch out for cows' pee more so than anything else.

bha said...

FYI, dandelions are perfectly edible, just the mature leaves are somewhat unpalatable raw. See Wikipedia for a bit more info than I have off the top of my head.

The only risk is of triggering a gag reflex :P

Ki said...

well, there you go, don't listen to me, lol. i thought you couldn't eat those things but apparently, i didn't do my homework ;-)

RAV Jr said...

yes, young dandalion leaves are edible =)