Sunday, April 20, 2008

Me!Me!




It’s actually a Meme, but I’m supposed to write eight facts about myself here so that’s why I call it Me!Me!



I started this blog to keep my parents (who live far away from us) informed about what’s going on in our lives and now, look what it’s come to. I’m doing memes! I’m doing it because I’ve been tagged by a friend and I don’t wish to break the chain and be the dead end. So, here it is and at the end, I’m supposed to tag another eight people (can you say “chain letter” lol) so if you happen to be one of those, please be a good sport and do the meme. If I’ve tagged you, it’s because I think your meme would be an interesting one and worth reading. So, without further adieu, here are eight things you may not have known about me:



1. I’ve never broken any bone in my body. Ever. I also have an unusually high white blood cell count. Always. Doctors have checked me out but haven’t been able to find any reason as to why the elevated white blood cell count. I almost never get sick.



2. WARNING! If you are about to eat or have just eaten, please skip to number 3!



I have a very, very strong stomach. I have been known to eat spoiled food and never even realized it. I will try anything out there once. I’ve eaten horse (as has been pointed out by my friend Peri already), frogs, kangaroo, crocodile, brains, tongue, eye balls, intestines/stomach to name a few. You were warned! We lived in a poor country when I was young and my grandparents owned a farm. In the fall, when they would slaughter the pigs and the goats, nothing ever went to waste. I have never been sick to my stomach or had diarrhea caused by food. Well, I’m sure if you fed me 100 year old oysters, I’d spend some extra time in the toilet but in general, day to day life, bring it on…I’ll eat it!



3. When I was a child, my Grandma, forcefully, dragged me to an audition for the leading role in a movie. That was the closest I’ve gotten to being a movie star. Very needless to say, they didn’t pick me. But I felt so humiliated standing there in a lineup of girls while the producer or director or whomever stared at us with a big camera pointed in our faces. I have to say here that he did pick me out of the rest and posed some sort of question to me (maybe it was a little test) but I was so nervous and embarrassed that I just mumbled something and that was that. No red carpet for me.



4. I’ve been banned from a bar after being kicked out of it for being rowdy, stoned, drunk and making out in the boy’s washroom with my friend’s cousin. (Oh God, my Mother reads this blog!)



5. I’ve had sex (with my husband, but he was not my husband at the time) in the bathroom of a train while coming back from a trip. (Oh, God, my Mother reads this blog!)



6. I’ve spent one night in a minimum security facility. Still though, bars on the windows, no shoes or belts, and a police officer guard. (Oh, God, my …. No, wait, my Mother knows about that one!)



7. I got married twice to the same man. First, we eloped, then we had a big church wedding. Let me explain, in Switzerland, a church wedding alone is not recognized by the authorities/government (yes, Switzerland is, in some ways, quite behind the times) so people must get married in a civil ceremony in City Hall first. Then, if they wish to have a church wedding, they can. I came to Switzerland on a one year work contract. I then met, dated, got engaged to and married my husband without my parents ever meeting him. We got married in City Hall on a quiet Thursday afternoon, in a very small ceremony (only my husband and I with a witness each) which lasted a little less than 10 min. The four of us then went to lunch and that was it. We went to work the next day. A week later, my Mother arrived and I had to introduced her to my husband for the first time. Two weeks later, we had a big, beautiful church wedding. I wore a wedding dress, bla, bla, the whole shebang.



8. I cannot speak a language perfectly. I speak three. Bulgarian, (my mother tongue), English, and German/Swiss German but none of them perfectly. My mother tongue I hardly use and haven’t done so in years. As a result, it has deteriorated. I have lost close to 50% of my vocabulary and my grammar is poor. When I go back to visit and speak with people, they ask me where I come from. English I speak the best, but not nearly as well as a native English speaker. I have an accent which I have never been able to loose and when I speak with English people they ask me where I come from. German I have started to learn only 3 years ago. I speak enough to be able to get by and watch TV but it’s my third and worst spoken language of all. When I speak to people here, they ask me where I come from. Chances are, in 20 years, German will be my best spoken language, then English, and I’m not sure if I’d still be able to string two words together in Bulgarian, but for now my language of communication is English and I’m glad I could speak it well enough to write this meme!



Thanks everyone for your time. Now, the tags:









Adrian, on Facebook;


Deana, on Facebook;


Shamina, on Facebook;


Heidi, on Facebook;


and Kathy, on Facebook

9 comments:

Yesha said...

i find it interesting. i enjoyed reading it. =]

Anonymous said...

Thanks for playing along...good job!

Svetlana said...

thanks. number 4 ring any bells lol??!!

Anonymous said...

Of course it does!

J said...

Cute-I will do this too and bet I can match you for eating strange things!!

Unknown said...

those are some pretty interesting facts!
your poor mother reading them probably had a heart attack. haha.

ohhh to be a mum.

Ki said...

wow, i go away for a couple of days and come back to homework, :) no worries, i'll do the meme.

you ate eye balls?? cool. how did they taste like? chicken??

in the picture above, what's in your mouth? eye ball?? kidding.

Svetlana said...

jenny: can't wait to read your meme!

jenny h: thanks for checking my meme out. my mom's pretty cool and although she might have raised an eyebrow, she won't freak out too much. i think being a mother is the hardest thing in the world.

ki: thanks for agreeing to do the meme. eye balls taste like eye balls. chicken tastes like chicken lol. you'll just have to try them to see how they taste. what i have in my mouth is muuuuuch the oposite-it's creamy, delicious, devine swiss chocolate. mmmm!

Yesha said...

lol. thanks. i actually finish doing my own Meme. ^^