Saturday, December 29, 2007

Invasion Of The Crowds

Poor little Gstaad is getting too small for the season crowds! Or are the crowds getting too big for little Gstaad?? In either case, the village is brimming with activity. The tourists and seasonal folk have arrived! The place is a zoo! The streets are jam packed with traffic, the roundabouts congested, the parking lots over filled!


I can't say we like it. My husband needs three times as much time to go to work and come home every day due to the heavy traffic and congestions. I have to run into the train before everyone else to ensure I get a seat. And going on our regular grocery shopping trips on Saturdays is anything but regular any more - we have to elbow people in the ribs to get by in the store and wait on long lineups to go through the cash register.


Ah well, the cash infusion does the tiny village good. And speaking of cash, the richie riches have arrived and are now invading not only Gstaad but my place of work too! And we have to, must, accommodate them! They call and demand appointments whenever it suits them, totally oblivious to the fact that our office does not exist solely for their convenience. But my boss, God love him, he's great, is too weak to stand up to those spoiled brats and throws the office in complete chaos just to accommodate them, changing the schedule around and pushing my lunch break to later in the day so that I'm stuffing my face with cookies and chocolate in between patients!


And here's a little observation I have made while working with those rich pains-in-the neck, literally. I'm convinced now that having money causes tooth sensitivity! It must! All the rich people have sensitive teeth! Of course this is no scientific research here or anything, just my own findings with a margin of error of course since not all those people fall into this criteria, but it holds true. Those people are not used to feeling any sort of discomfort whatsoever. They are never too cold, never too warm, never hungry or thirsty. They don't know how to wait for things and have the patience of 2 year-olds. And here they are, in my chair, having to open their mouth uncomfortably wide and endure me poking around their gums. The littlest discomfort and they flinch and wince and groan and proceed to tell me in whiny voices just how sensitive they are! Oh give me a break! And do me a favour - take a Valium before you come in!


Our peace and quiet is over for a couple of months and we've got no choice but to grin and bare it. It's good business for my husband on the ski slopes and we're lucky to live in the neighbouring village, so that we're somewhat sheltered from all the commotion.




No comments: