Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A Neighbourly Encounter

It is the end of October and warm, golden days are being replaced with chilly, gray days. This means, of course, that very soon the winter season will be upon us. And that means the end of me being able to walk home from work. So, as this realization came into my head as i was working on my last patient yesterday afternoon, and as i looked out the windows of my room to see that the sun was still shining, i decided that was the perfect opportunity to squeeze in one more, possibly last walk. After dismissing my patient, i poked my head outside to check the temperature. It was bearable. My mind was made up. I bundled up and headed home.

There are many ways one can walk from my place of work in Schönried to my home in Saanen. I know of three, two of which i have already tried out. The third way is a bit longer than the other two, but according to a colleague of mine, who has walked that way before on her way home to Gstaad, it would take about 50-55 min, as opposed to the 45 min going the other two ways. Not so bad, i thought. So i chose to go that way, along Gruben Strasse. That was a mistake. Gruben Strasse swoops down from Schönried towards Gstaad until it meets the main road leading from Gstaad to Saanen. One must walk almost to Gstaad along Gruben Strasse and then double over back to Saanen on the main road, in contrast to the other ways which lead directly down to Saanen. Long story short, it took me over an hour to get home. By then, dusk was falling and the cold air had seeped through my clothes right down to my bones.

I was 1.5min away from my house, frozen, exhausted, aching. All i wanted was to get in the warm house and get inside the hot bath. And that's when it happened. I was rudely (and that is extremely unbecoming to the Swiss) accosted by our neighbour. Here's how it went down:

Her: "Hello."

Me: "Good Evening"

I proceed to walk past her and towards my house.

Her: "You don't say much, do you?"

I stop mid-stride and turn back to her.

Me: "Pardon me?"

Her: "You don't ever say anything to me. All this time, you don't speak to me. Why?"

Me thinking to myself: "Please lord, i just wanna get home. I really don't need this right now"

Me: "I'm sorry, I'm really not unfriendly. I don't speak much because i can't. I'm not form here, you see, i come from Canada and my German is not that great."

Her: "Oh"

Pause.

Me thinking to myself: "I'm turning around and i'm leaving...right....now..."

Her: "I didn't know that. Where in Canada do you come from? How come i don't detect the usual accent English people have when they speak German?"

Me thinking to myself: "Oh my God, i'm not getting into this with this woman right now. I JUST WANNA GO HOME DAMN IT!!!"

Me: "Oh really? I'll take that as a compliment. Thanks."

It's full dark now. I can't feel my frozen limbs.

Her: "How long have you been here in Switzerland?"

Me thinking to myself: "Please God, what did i do to deserve that? Please. I just wanna go home, please"

Me: "Oh, not really that long, only three years."

Her: "Wow, your German is very good for only three years. My English is horrible."

Me: "Oh, huh." and thinking "OK, i'm turning around and walking away.....now....now!"

Her: "I said something to you the other day and you didn't say anything back!"

Me thinking to myself: "Holy shit, i thought we went over this already!"

Me: "Oh really? Sorry, i probably did not understand you, really, did not mean to be rude."

Her: "Yeah, now i know."

Me: "OK then, so....uhmm, have a nice evening."

I do really turn around this time and start walking away towards my warm, cozy, comfy house with my sweet hubby waiting for me there.

Her: "Ok, yeah, you too. Till next time."

Me thinking to myself: "Till next time???I hope not, you crazy psycho nuts woman. You need help. You're a disgrace to the nice, polite, friendly Swiss people!"

I walk away without saying another word.

Once inside the house and in my husband's warm arms, i tell him about crazy psycho nuts woman. He doubles over laughing hysterically. "OK, sorry....laughter...she is crazy, yes." Crazy? She's insane!

I don't see the problem of living next door to someone and saying hello when you see them outside their house once in a while. And not only because i don't feel so utterly comfortable with my possession of the German language, but i tent to be the type of person who's friendly but not obnoxious. And do forgive me if i don't engage in a meaningless conversation about the weather or gossip about the other neighbours. I've got a life. When i pass your place, it's because i'm usually going someplace where i need to be, or coming back form someplace and really just wanting to go home where i can relax and not be bothered by any unwanted individuals. So, when i pass your place on my way to or from life, and you happen to be outside, i acknowledge you, i smile at you and i greet you. Why is that not enough??????

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Sounds like she's lonely. Maybe you should invite her over for tea sometime.

Svetlana said...

yes, she probably is cuz her man is always....ahmm...how should i say...under the influence of some mood&mind altering substances.

it's funny the opposing advice i get from pple. someone said i should move and you suggest i have tea with her. hmmmm, i'll have to think this one through, but i have a feeling i'll go for something in the middle of those extremes lol.